Wednesday, October 18, 2017
You are here: Isle of Man > Attractions > Early Historical Sites > Stone Crosses
Kirk Lezayre (Kirk Christ)

History

The old church dating from before 1760 (as detailed in a inscription once on the north wall) was torn down. Two brass tablets from 1669 and 1692 are located on the north wall of the current 1830's church.

The first pipe organ used at Lezayre church from 1885 to 1926 was made by Edward Wadsworth of Salford in 1874.

Most of the crosses are from the Celtic chapel at Cronk ny How, Balleigh.

Location

The village of Churchtown near Ramsey in the north of the island.
Map Ref: SC 424 941

By Vehicle:
From Ramsey take the A3 to Kirk Michael. Take the second B road turn off for the B17. The church will be visible on the left side of the main A road.

By Bus:
Take routes no. 5, 50, 5B, 6 & 6B between Ramsey and Kirk Michael. Get off at Churchtown and walk to the visible church.

By Railway:
Take the Steam Railway to Douglas and then the Electric Railway to Ramsey. Take bus routes no. 5, 50, 5B, 6 & 6B. Get off at Churchtown and walk to the visible church.

The Site

  • Church
  • 11 Crosses
  • Graveyard
No. 151


No. 152


No. 153


No. 154


No. 155


No. 156


No. 158


Unknown No. 1


Unknown No. 2


Unknown No. 3


Unknown No. 4



Kirk Lezayre

Kirk Lezayre

Kirk Lezayre

Kirk Lezayre

Kirk Lezayre

Other Guides by Maxima Systems Ltd: Disney World