HistoryA large fort, erected in 1640 by James, seventh earl of Derby as part of the Islands civil war defenses. The fort is massive in size, extending an area of some 50 yards. The thick walls of earth have bastions on each of the four corners. The fort, which was never completed, would have been a stronghold for the north of the island, given its solitary situation.
LocationLocated in the north of the Island, near St Judes. The site is a fair walk across farm land.
Map Ref: SC 405 970
Along the A17, which can be reached from the A3, which runs between Kirk Michael and Ramsey. On the right side of the road the site is marked with a green sign. Parking is restricted to road side only.
Not serviced by bus routes.
Not serviced by the railways.