Friday, November 24, 2017
You are here: Isle of Man > Attractions > Tourist Sites
Mines Railway

Open: Summer Season Saturdays: Easter - end of Sept end 2012: Saturday, 11am - 4.30pm
Bank Holidays: 2012: 11am - 4.30pm
August Sundays: 2012: Sunday, 11am - 4.30pm
Hop Tu Naa (Halloween) Ghost Trains: 2012 TBA: 12pm - 7pm
Price: PRICES FOR 2012
Return Fare: Adults 2, Children 1
Disabled: Limited
Location: Laxey
Parking: Available

History

Part of the once vast mining industry for Lady Isabella and the Laxey Mines. Originally minerals were taken by horse and wagon between the old adit near the mines and the Assay House near the Washing Floors further down the river. In the 1870's two steam engines were purchased from Stephen Lewin of Poole, Dorset. The new engines were called 'The Ant' and 'The Bee'. They were 4ft 9in tall, 3 ft wide and could pull up to seven wagons each. Since the closure of the mines in 1929, the original engines were lost, but some of the wagons still remain. Work on restoring the old narrow gauge line and related stock is an on going project. Track entensions and other improvements are planned.

Location

On the east coast of the Island in the village of Laxey.

By Vehicle:
Located near the village of Laxey where the B11 crosses the A2 (road between Douglas and Ramsey). Park near the Electric Railway Station or in the car park across from the Laxey Valley Gardens. At the bridge over the valley, walk down the footpath to the Valley Gardens from the junction of the main Laxey to Ramsey Road and Captains Hill. The railway is sign posted and visible from roadside and footpath.

By Bus:
Reachable by bus routes no. 3, 3A, 3B, and 3C from Ramsey and Douglas. Take the stop in the town centre near the Electric Railway Station, then walk along the Electric Railway lines in the direction of the wheel. At the bridge over the valley, walk down the footpath on the right to the Valley Gardens from the junction of the main Laxey to Ramsey Road and Captains Hill. The railway is sign posted and visible from roadside and footpath.

By Railway:
Take the Steam Railway to Douglas. The Electric Railway to Laxey Station. Walk along the Electric Railway Lines in the direction of the wheel. At the bridge over the valley, walk down the footpath on the right to the Valley Gardens from the junction of the main Laxey to Ramsey Road and Captains Hill. The railway is sign posted and visible from roadside and footpath.

Visiting the Mines Railway

Officially opened on the 25th of Sept 2004; this little railway offers an enjoyable time for young and old alike. An enclosed carriage takes passenagers under the road by way of a long tunnel and through the trees along the route minerals would have taken back in the mining days. The track runs from the Laxey Valley Gardens towards the Laxey Wheel. Since its opening the old footpath at the mines yard end has been reopened and the footbridge leading to the old Mine Adit and Copper Trail rebuilt. Keep an eye out for informtion boards explaining the mining history. Don't pass this attraction by!
Contact: Laurie Roome on 01624 860186


Related News Articles

Laxey Mines Railway

Laxey Mines Railway

Laxey Mines Railway

Laxey Mines Railway

Laxey Mines Railway

Laxey Mines Railway

Laxey Mines Railway

Other Guides by Maxima Systems Ltd: Disney World