||Car, Bus, Manx Electric Railway
||Forestry, Mines, and Lands Board, 1956
||East, in Laxey Village
||Ample, close by
About Laxey Glen
The history of this glen dates back to 1800 when the Reverend William
Fitzsimmons started a planting program which lasted around 50 years.
Some of the larger trees from this time are still visible in the glen.
The pleasure grounds were the concept of Mr R Williamson, who saw the
potential of tourists who visited the area. Between 1919 and 1939
the glen gardens saw their peak in popularity with facilities for
croquet, bowling, tennis, boating, dancing, walking and eating. At
this time there were 7 men employed full time to maintain the gardens.
After the war the gardens saw a decline in popularity and they were
soon sold to the government and left to develop naturally.
Related News Articles
- Master Composter Training Course 9 September 2009
The Department of Local Government and the Environment, working in partnership with Zero Waste Mann, is sponsoring a Master Composter training course on the 12th and 13th September at Laxey Glen Gardens. [More]
- Minister pleased to see joined-up bread making 26 June 2009
The Manx National Farmers Union invited the Minister to join a gathering of all stages of the bread production chain this week, where farmers, Laxey Glen Mills and Ramsey Bakery management teams spent the evening together to share perspective and consider how to strengthen their working relationship. [More]