Friday, December 15, 2017
You are here: Isle of Man > Attractions > Early Historical Sites > Prehistorical Sites
Meayll Circle

History

Also known as Mull Circle, the site is a megalithic chambered tomb covering an 18 metre diameter circle. There are six pairs of graves believed to be from the late Neolithical or early Bronze Age. The site has seen a long history from the Neolithic to Medieval times. Excavated in 1911 by Kermode and Herdman and again in 1971 Henshall.

Location

Along the Ballnahowe Road between Port Erin and Cregneash. Seen slightly from the road looking up the hill. Marked with a green plaque.
Map Ref: SC 189 677

By Vehicle:
Take the A31 from Port St Mary to Cregneash. Go along Ballnahowe Road to Port Erin. The site is up a hill on the right.

By Bus:
Take the no. 1 bus route from Douglas, Castletown, Port Erin or Port St Mary to Cregneash. From Cregneash there is about half a mile walk along Ballnahowe Road to the site.

By Railway:
Take the Electric Railway to Douglas and then the Steam Railway to Port St Mary. Then walk into Port St Mary and on to Cregneash or take the bus route no. 1. For just the Stream Railway, take it to Port St Mary and continue as detailed.



Publications
The Neolithic Culture of the Isle of Man: A Study of the Sites and Pottery (British Archaeological Reports (BAR) British)
Stephen Burrow
Archaeopress, Paperback, January, 1998
ISBN: 0860548724
List Price: £20.00
New Price: £21.99
Buy Now More Info
Meayll (Mull) Circle

Meayll (Mull) Circle

Meayll (Mull) Circle

Other Guides by Maxima Systems Ltd: Disney World