HistorySt Michael's Isle also known as Fort Island was acquired for the Manx Nation in 1984. Covering an area of 5.14 hectares (12.7 acres) the isle forms the northern most point of the Langness Peninsula. Once detached at high tide it is now connected to Langness by a causeway built in mid 1700's (18th Century). The isle is made of rocky slate and has very acid soil.
The Chronicles of the Kings of Mann and the Isles (1300's, 14 Century) recorded two great battles on the site. During the mid 1200's England, Scotland and the Manx fought for control of the Isle of Man. The first battle of 1250 saw the Manx win, but 25 years later in 1275 they lost to Scotland. Both these battles saw men landing on St Michael's Isle.
The isle was not always used for battles. It was also a place of religious worship. First a small keeill and later a chapel were built and the ground surrounding them would be used to bury the dead.
The isle was designed as a bird sanctuary in 1936 and is still maintained as such. The wild vegetation acts as a natural nesting ground for birds, as does the rocky coast. Many forms of insects can also be found here.
LocationAt the far end of Langness near Castletown in the south of the island.
Map Ref: SC 295 673
Castletown is a main southern town, served by a multitude of roads. Just follow the road signs. Langness is marked by signs, but if in doubt follow signs for the golf course.
Castletown can be reached by the following bus routes: 1, 1C, 2, 2A, 8 X1, X2. Travelling from Douglas, Port Erin, Port St Mary and Peel. Langness is at the far end of Castletown Bay. There is a road along the coast, which leads to it.
Castletown can be reached by the taking the Electric Railway to Douglas and then the Steam Railway to Castletown. Head straight for the coast and follow the bay along to Langness.
Castletown can be reached on the Steam Railway from Douglas going to Port Erin or by taking the Port Erin (Port St Mary) train going to Douglas. Then follow instructions above.