HistoryThe original church is believed to be from the 10th or 11th century. It is unknown what reduced this church to a 2ft high ruin, but it is believed to be tied to the coming of King Magnus from Norway in the late 11th century. The new church was built on the ruins of the old church in the 12th century. The walls made red sandstone were set in the herring bone masonry style from Norway. An extension was also built with a new door entrance. In the 1400's another extension of grey slate and a window was added. When St Patrick's Church became the parish church a step was added outside, where announcements could be made from. By the 16th century the church was falling into disrepair, this was most likely due to the building of the near by St German's Cathedral.
LocationOn the west side of the island near the city of Peel.
Map Ref: SC 241 846
Take any roads sign posted to Peel or the west. Once in Peel, drive along the promenade and around the harbour to Peel Castle.
Take the bus routes no. 4, 5, 5A, X5, 6 or 6A. servicing from Douglas and Ramsey to Peel (Note the 6A only travels from Douglas).
The west side of the Island is not serviced by the Railways. Take a vehicle or bus.