||Bus or car
||Between Kirk Michael and Ballaugh
||Ample, close by
||5.3 hectares, 13.0 acres
About Bishopscourt Glen
Originally part of the private garden for the Bishop of Sodor and Man.
Some of the main features include a mound called "Mount Aeolus", which
resembles Tynwald Hill and was topped with two guns (stolen in 1987).
Commissioned by Bishop Hildesley when Captain
Elliot beat the French off the Manx coast at Ramsey in 1760.
Also in the glen is a small lake created from a mill pond, where many
ducks and geese make their home. Set at the far end of the glen is a cave
with carved stone seat and a stone inscribed with "Creg-ny-Ushag"
(Manx for "Rock of the Bird"). Bishop Murray is believed to have taken
refuge there from angry locals, during the 1825 Potato (Tithe) Riots.
Many features were introduced gradually by Bishops and their families.
The glen is now a national glen with well maintained paths.