57°F / 14°C
Time: 1:13am BST
Sunrise in 5 hours
Current Weather >>
HistoryThe Leece Museum is the Municipal Museum for the City of Peel. It is independent from the Manx Museum and run by the Commissioners. Started by T E Leece and Frank Quayle in 1984. In 2000 the museum was moved to the East Quay. The history of its current site goes back to the late 1500's, at which point it was believed to have been a plot of land. From the early 1600's the site is described as having a house and garden upon it. By the beginning of the 1700's a Courthouse building was recorded and this is the same building which the museum occupied today.
The Courthouse was in use till the late 1800's at which time it was deemed unfit to be in. The location often meant it was filled with sailors and fishermen, especially on rainy days. The basement cell was so dreadful that a new building was made a few yards away from the Courthouse to house the Police Station and lockup.
LocationLocated in the town of Peel, midway along the boat harbour known as East Quay.
Take any roads sign posted to Peel or the west. Once in Peel, drive along the promenade and along the harbour to the Leece Museum.
Plan your journey with our Bus and Rail Timetables.
The west side of the island is not serviced by the Railways. Take a vehicle or bus.
Leece Museum and Ward Library
The Old Courthouse
Isle of Man
Tel. +44 (0) 1624 845366
Visiting the Leece MuseumA bright little museum set on the Quay of Peel Harbour. There are many exhibits mostly about the local Peel area, though some extend island wide. Browse through newspapers, photographs, and historical items. It is an excellent way to learn about the island's only city and the long past it has. Well worth a visit.
Related News Articles