Sunday, November 18, 2018
You are here: Isle of Man > Attractions > Races > TT Races
Practice Week: May 26th - June 1st 2012
Race Week: June 2nd - June 8th 2012

TT News

First Practice Session Report 24 May 2008

Practice for the 2008 Isle of Man TT Races got underway this evening and after a 20 minute delay to proceedings, due to signage around the course being completed, the honour of leading off the line fell to two of the newcomers, Jamie Robinson (Padgett's Manx Gas Racing Honda) and James Hillier (Martin Bullock Suzuki). The duo were led around by John Barton, one of the rider liaison officers with dry and sunny weather ensuring a good session could be completed. Riders were warned of a lack of adhesion at Snugborough but general track conditions were favourable.

At 6.56pm, it was the time of the leading solo riders to start their race preparations in earnest and Guy Martin (Hydrex Bike Animal Honda) and Cameron Donald (Relentless by TAS Suzuki) were the first pairing away followed by Bruce Anstey and Adrian Archibald. They were followed in quick succession by Ian Hutchinson, Gary Johnson, John McGuinness and Carl Rennie with Martin, Anstey, Hutchinson, McGuinness and Ian Lougher just some of the riders to go out on their Superbike machines. Steve Plater, Mark Parrett and Chris Palmer were out on their Supersport machines whilst Keith Amor and John Burrows were aboard their Superstock bikes.

Robinson and Hillier were, naturally, the first two to complete the lap with Hillier enthusing about the course upon his return to the pits: 'Unbelievable, what a buzz - I kept looking over my shoulder to see if the police were chasing us!'

Martin and Archibald were first of the established competitors through the start and finish and carried on for another lap whilst many riders called in to make a few changes before heading back out for a couple more laps. The general consensus was that conditions all around the course were good and it was just great to be back - after a year away, they were all itching to get going and used the session to feel their way back in to the 37 and 3/4 miles. Despite the delay at the start of the session, the riders were able to get in 3 full laps of the course and should have made good progress with their set-up.

At 8.00pm it was the turn of the F2 Sidecars and they were lead away by reigning World Champions Tim Reeves and Patrick Farrance who had just flown in from Donington Park, where they qualified on pole for the opening round of this year's Championship. Roy Hanks, competing in his 43rd TT, and Dave Wells were the escort for the newcomers with other crews following them including Mark Brown/David Brown, Camiel Mellegers/Simone van Berckel and Geoff Smale/Lee Barrett.

Twenty minutes later the established competitors were given the all clear sign and it was Dave Molynuex and Dan Sayle who got away first on their DMR Suzuki followed by Nick Crowe/Mark Cox (LCR Honda), John Holden/Andy Winkle (LCR Suzuki), Phil Dongworth/Stu Castles (Ireson Honda), Gary Bryan/Robert Bell (Baker Yamaha), Simon Neary/Jamie Winn (Baker Suzuki) and Tony Elmer/Darren Marshall (Ireson Yamaha). Klaus Klaffenbock and Christian Parzer were also amongst the first few crews out on the course with the 2001 World Champion now competing in the colours of Padgett's Manx Gas Racing.

Crowe was first to complete a lap having overhauled Moly out on the circuit but, whilst he pulled in, Moly continued for another lap. Holden also pulled in and stated a few adjustments were required for the suspension with conditions still good everywhere despite the fading light. Bryan, Dongworth and Greg Lambert all carried on for another lap while Neary was another to briefly make a few changes before carrying on again.

The earlier delay meant that the sidecars were only able to squeeze in two laps during their session.

More stories >>>

Back to TT Races

Other Guides by Maxima Systems Ltd: Disney World