||16 miles/26 kilometres
About the Route
The route starts in Ramsey, which has a good shopping area and pleasant
harbour. This route covers the Northern Plain, which is a flat expanse
of land much in contrast to the rest of the island. Most of the roads
are quiet once outside of Ramsey and there is real beauty to see in
the villages of Bride, Andreas and St Judes.
Click for full size image
Ride the Route
- Start at the Manx Electric Railway Station, cross
over Albert Street and go along Peel street.
- Turn right onto Market Hill, which is a short road leading to Market
- Turn left onto Market Place and then left again onto West Quay.
- Follow the quay side and turn right over the swing bridge.
- Take the first right and go along Mooragh
- The road follows the coast for about a mile and then turns inland and up
- Turn right at the T junction onto Bride Road (A10) and stay on it for
about 4 miles.
- Detour at the round about to visit Point of Ayre. Take a right at the
roundabout and follow the A16 (5A) to Point of Ayre. Follow the same
road to get back to the main route and turn right at the roundabout.
- Go through the village of Bride and continue along the A10 to The Lhen
for the next 4 miles.
- Turn left onto Leoest Road towards Andreas and follow for 2 miles.
- At the T junctions turn left and then right at the Y junction in
Andreas village centre.
- Turn right at the T junction near the church.
- After 1/4 mile turn right onto Bayr ny Harrey (Road to the Ayres in
Manx) and follow the lane for 2 miles.
- Turn right at the crossroads and then left at the T junction.
- Ride along this road (A17) for 1 mile till you reach the village of St
- Turn left at the crossroads in St Judes and pass the St Judes Church.
- Follow this road (A13) for 5 miles back into Ramsey
- Turn right at the T junction into Bowring Road and cross the bridge
into the Ramsey centre.
- Go straight across the two mini roundabouts and turn left at the
signpost for A2 to Laxey and
Douglas. This brings you back to the
Manx Electric Railway Station and
ends the Route.
Cycling Around the Isle of Man (Cycling with Arnold Robinson)|
Walk&Write, Paperback, April, 1996
List Price: £4.50
New Price: £6.49