You are here: Isle of Man > Towns and Villages
Ramsey, capital of the north, is the main town in the north and is known as the island's agriculture town. Named by the Norse as 'Wild Garlic River' due to settlements nearby where wild garlic grows in abundance. In the past its harbours saw the shipping of livestock and seed, but that was not all its harbour here saw. It also saw the start of many invasions upon its shores. Most notable in 1079 with King Orry and then in 1313 with Robert the Bruce. Being the most convenient harbour to England, Scotland, Ireland and Scandinavia, Ramsey saw a fair few armies just passing through on their way to somewhere else.
In 1865, Ramsey became a town and at that time was at the forefront of ship building, being the first shipyard to build an oil tanker known as 'The Jane'. Within the same year Ramsey shipyard also built the Euterpe or 'Star of India', which today moors at a floating museum in San Diego.
The town is also known as Royal Ramsey, due to a couple of royal visits. One in 1847, by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert and later in 1907 by King Edward VII and Queen Alaxandra.
Related News Articles