HistoryCashtal yn Ard (The Castle of the Heights) is one of the best ancient monuments on the Isle of Man. One of three Neolithic tombs, dating from around 2000 BC. It is the best preserved of them all and one of the largest of its kind in the British Isles. The monument was originally a megalithic chambered Cairn (a conical heap of stones built as a monument or a landmark) holding five chambers and extending over 130 feet long. Such sites were used as communal burial places for Neolithic chieftains and their families. A deed from 1795 names the monument as Cashtal y mucklagh y vagileragh (The castle of the field pigsty). It was excavated in the 1930's and later in 1999.
LocationAlong the east coast of the Island near, Cornaa. The site is along the way to Cornaa from Glen Mona on a hill, which a footpath leads to.
Map Ref: SC 463 892
Take the A2 from Laxey to Ramsey, along the way take side road to Cornaa.
Take the bus routes no. 3, 3A, 3B or 3C. servicing between Douglas, Laxey, and Ramsey. The stop is Glen Mona and there is a walk of about a mile along road and footpaths.
Take the Steam Railway to Douglas. The Electric Railway to Glen Mona. Take the footpath down to the road and then along it to Cornaa. The site is about a mile walk.