Thursday, September 18, 2014
You are here: Isle of Man > Attractions > Tourist Sites

Knockaloe Internment Camp

History

This camp located near Peel was originally designed for 5000 people, but by the end of the War it held almost 24,000 internees. The site comprising of 22 acres was divided into 23 compounds, each with four camps made up of wooden hut like buildings. The units each ran their own hospital, entertainment theatres, etc. Nearly 200 people died during their internment and were buried at Patrick Church close to the camp. The camps closed in 1919, many internees had served up to five years in the camp. After closure, the site was returned to its former state as a farm. Most of the internees were deported, even though they has settled before the War and some had families. In 1962, most of the internees graves were re-interred at Cannock Chase in Britain. Two Jewish graves and several Turkish ones still remain in the churchyard at Patrick.

Location

In Patrick, near Peel on the west side of the Island.

By Vehicle:
Take any roads sign posted to Peel or the west. Travel along the A27 to Patrick from Peel. The site is on the right and well sign posted. The church is on the opposite side of the road, as are the graves.

By Bus:
Take the bus routes no. 4, 5, 5A, X5, 6 or 6A. servicing from Douglas and Ramsey to Peel (Note the 6A only travels from Douglas). Then take the 7 or 7A to Patrick.

By Railway:
The west side of the island is not serviced by the Railways. Take a vehicle or bus.

Intern Graves at Patrick

  • Ramazan Mehmet, 17th November 1916
  • Huseyin Halid Ibrahim, 16th November 1917
  • Huseyin Ali, 10th April 1917
  • Hasan Dervis, 18th May 1917
  • Mehmet Ali, 17th September 1917
  • Kalan Yegen, 9th April 1918
  • Hermann Jeschke, 31st March 1916
  • Heinrich Abraham, 21st July 1917

Visiting

Most of the site has returned to its pre-internment camp state. There are however many original features which can clearly be seen. The entrance into the camp is now a paved road, but it once was a railway line, purpose built for the movement of food into the camp. Camp one would have been on the right bording the main road. On the left from the entrance up to the farm was Camp two. Camp four also touched the main road edge and went half way along Camp two. Camp three was next to Camp four and along camp two further along in the direction of the farm. From the entrance towards the farm, the floor slabs from the wooden huts which once housed the internees have been used to form the wall lining the roadside. This is most obvious on the right. Further down the road are the meat sheds, which have now been been turned into private housing. At the far end of the road is the train engine shed and Knockaloe Farm. Patrick Church is across the road from the camp and is where the remaining internment graves can be found.


Publications
Island of Barbed Wire: The Remarkable Story of World War Two Internment on the Isle of Man
Connery Chappell
Robert Hale Ltd, Paperback, 31 January, 2005
ISBN: 0709077548
List Price: £9.99
New Price: £6.99
Used Price: £6.07
Third Party Price: £5.87
Buy Now More Info
Patrick Church

Turkish Intern Graves

Turkish Intern Grave Site Sign

Jewish Intern Graves

Knockaloe (Camp) Farm Sign

Wall boarding Road to Knockaloe Farm<br> Made from the flooring of the Camp Buildings.

Road to Knockaloe Farm.<br> Once was a Rail Track.<br> Meat Houses can be seen on right side.

Site of one of the Knockaloe Camps

Engine Shed at Knockaloe Farm

Sign on Engine Railway Shed.<br> Stating the History of the Site.

Other Guides by Maxima Systems Ltd: Disney World